What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, can improve the shape, position or proportion of the ear.
Otoplasty can correct a defect in the ear structure that is present at birth that becomes apparent with development or it can treat misshapen ears caused by injury.
Ear surgery creates a natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.
If protruding or disﬁgured ears bother you or your child, you may consider plastic surgery.
Specifically ear surgery can treat:
- Overly large ears — a rare condition called macrotia
- Protruding ears occurring on one or both sides in varying degrees — not associated with hearing loss
- Adult dissatisfaction with previous ear surgery.
Ear Surgery Candidates
Ear surgery may be a perfect option for you if:
- Your ears are either too large or too small
- Your ears are disproportionate to your head or are not positioned correctly
- Some injury has affected the shape of your ears
- You are non-smoker
- You have good general health
- You have realistic expectations regarding the outcome of surgery
- You are unhappy with the appearance of your ears
- Your ears are sticking out too far from your head